Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Decorative String Balls

I first saw a tutorial for decorative string balls on Martha Stewart's website. It was about Christmas time. So, I ended up making some in white crochet cotton, using regular balloons. They turned out really well and I used them on the Christmas tree, they looked like snowballs and I think they lookedgreat on my christmas tree.

For a tutorial go to this link: Martha Stewart Snowy Balloon Ornaments

So roll on a few years later, I have been wanting to get my hands a little dirty playing lately and thought I would make some more string balls in different colours to go with a candle plate I have.

I decided to use water balloons instead of regular balloons as I did not want these to be so big.


























Here are my supplies, red, black and brown crochet cotton, water balloons and this time I went with tacky glue, its much cheaper than modge podge so it was a bit of an experiment to see if it would work.













So here is the balloon all wrapped in string and covered with glue, you can't really tell in the photo but basically I covered the balloon with the string in all directions and then I dipped the ball into a bowl of glue and used my hands to smother the glue all over the string. I then used a kitchen cabinet know to hang it up and left it to dry over night. Here is the result:































































I am linking this up over at:








My uncommon slice of Suburbia - Tuesday's Treasures










Fireflies and Jelly Beans - DIY and Home Decor












Go and check out all the beautiful things submitted by other readers/bloggers, you are sure to find something of interest.

3 comments:

  1. I love these! I think I'll try my hand at making some for my porch and put some lights inside :) thanks for sharing! p.s. thank you also for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out great. I have seen them done real big for lights as fixtures. I love deco balls and these are great. I will need to make some of these soon.

    ~Makalani
    Makaz'z Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. Do you think reg yarn would work too?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...