Sunday, June 2, 2013

Anna Maria Horner’s Feather Block


June, my favourite month of the year, and it just so happens to be my birthday this month!
It is also my month in the Stars in their Eyes Bee, so I will no doubt be stalking the postie (Mail person) for Bee Blocks. 
So while I am waiting to receive some gorgeous Union Jack Blocks from my hive friends, I thought I would have a go at next months block (July) which is Linda's month.  She requested the gorgeous AMH Feather Blocks (now why didn’t I think of that).  When I first saw that she had chosen them as her block for the month, I was a little nervous about making them.  I have long admired all the blocks I have seen in blog land, but did not think I would ever make them.  But I can now say I am so glad Linda chose this as her block.  It meant I had to attempt to do them.  They are much easier to make than I thought they would be.
DSC03055
These blocks are great for using up your scraps of fabric and I had a lot of fun deciding what to use.DSC03060
You can find a link to a PDF Pattern that is free here
DSC03057
Linda chose Fall colors, including bits of turquoise, plum, chartreuse and magenta along with the usual orange, brown, gold, and red. Background: gray in medium to dark values, or black.
DSC03062
As you can see I went with a grey background, which I think is perfect for this block. It really makes the colours stand out.
I think I got a little carried away doing a photo shoot!
DSC03063




14 comments:

  1. As the intended recipient, I am thrilled with this feather! I agree, the colors really stand out against the gray, and your fabric choices are fabulous! I'm glad to hear it's not too difficult to make, since I haven't even tried one for myself, yet! And I love your photo shoot, dedicated to this lone feather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well look at you now becoming a feather pro! Your blocks are spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous blocks Sam. Like you I haven't tried these blocks yet but they are on the (rather long!) to-do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your feather block! I'll bet this is definitely a way to use up all of those little bits of fabric that we just can't bear to throw away. :)

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful job! can't wait to get started with this block...although I should get my june sewing done first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tried a union jack block and a feather one is definitely on my list. Your block is gorgeous, I'm glad you posted lots of pics - I could look at them forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I might even attempt to make some, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen these feather blocks around the quilty www several times - they never disappoint, yours look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely feathers! I've been thinking of making some of these, and you inspire me to try. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab block - I love being in my Bee and having to try out blocks and fabrics that wouldn't normally be my choice, it really pushes your boundaries :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this block! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely feather! I have a few done myself, need to make enough more to finish a top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You block turned out quite beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...