Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bag - Simplicity 2617

Hi, hope your all having a great weekend.  So what do you do when, its cold outside? make bags of course!  I mentioned in the Amy Butler Birdie Sling Pattern Review   about the amount of fabric I had left over from making the bag,  so I had a look through all my patterns and decided to make the bag from this pattern:

Simplicity 2617 view B.

Photo

Line Drawing

I had more than enough fabric to make this bag, even enough for the lining, I added in a contrast fabric from my stash for the patchwork, as I wanted this to be slightly different in colour form the Amy Butler bag I made.

I didn’t follow the pattern exactly as it had an inside pocket with a zip and I am a beginner! so zips at the moment scare me!  I can sew them in but they don’t always work out like I want them to, it is a little bit hit and miss!  So I left the pocket out all together. 

This bag also included a magnetic snap closure and I didn’t have one on hand, so I had a look at another pattern and found this neat little loop closure with a button, just the perfect thing to try out the covered button gadget I bought the other week.  I can see myself putting buttons on everything!

Apart from the above changes I found this bag a lot of fun to make, it came together really easy and I enjoyed adding a little stitched pattern along the seams of the patchwork, something I haven’t done before. I really like the handle on this bag, as it seems extremely solid. I love the way this bag turned out.  This bag is certainly easy enough for a beginner to make. So enough of me going on here is the bag I made ………….

.

DSC09989

DSC09991If you look close enough you might be able to see the decorative stitch I used, the same one they used in the pattern

Loving that covered button.DSC09995DSC09997

Like I mentioned its cold here in Wisconsin this weekend so I also made a start on another bag, which I hope to share with you some time next week.  Here is a little teaser of the fabric I am using, check bag next week to see the finished bag.

DSC00009



14 comments:

  1. A gorgeous, little handbag!!! You've matched your fabric beautifully, so it looks totally different to the birdie sling. Love the button closure and the flap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bag!!! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a sweet bag! Tangerine is THE color for this year and this is a great way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Pam. I love the covered button and the flap. I purchased a different Simplicity pattern a few days ago that has the same detail. I can't wait to try it myself. Also, I see you really like the designer fabrics, especially from Joel Dewberry. I would recommend checking out Modern Fabric Studio for great deals on his prints. I purchased some of the exact same fabric, but in a different color, and only paid roughly $6 a yard. Can't wait to see your next bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about the Modern Fabric Studio.

      Delete
  5. That is super cute! From which pattern did you find the little flap detail. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the other bag I made with Simplicity Pattern 2396, that is where I got the instructions from to make the button loop closure. It was extremely easy to do.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a great purse. That totally inspires me to attempt making one. Thanks for sharing your success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so beautiful. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this bag!! I want to try to make it now!! :) I found you over at The Blackberry Vine Tuesday To Do ;) thank you so much for sharing!! It's really really CUTE! I'm your newest follower!!

    xoxo,
    Lilli
    Onestopbabygifts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. a gorgeous bag! I just got this pattern..will have to try it out soon.
    I love your choices of fabrics..just perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of the patterns I picked up this past week. I think I might try this bag, too, but not do the piecing. I didn't realize until just now that you had used the Joel Dewberry Heirloom fabric, too! Wish I had some of the fabric that you used for the lining, but it's difficult to find! Still love that button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing what your version looks like. I just finished the Sweet Pea Tote Bag tonight and didn't do the piecing as I couldn't find any other fabric to go with the scraps of Joel Dewberry that I had left over from other bags. Hopefully if the weather is kind to us I will be able to take pics and post tomorrow.

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful bag. I admire your ability to follow simplicity patterns. Theyve always intimidated me to be honest:) Maybe that means Im not a real sewer, haha. I prefer PDF files from designers. So I love what you made here...fabric choices AND the style:) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...