Thursday, September 5, 2013

Crossroads Quilt


The month before our pup was sick and the month before our lives got a little crazy house hunting and moving etc., I did start a quilt, and I did get it finished just before we moved.  So I can now say that while we lived there I made a quilt for every member of our household!
However, in all the craziness, I did not get a chance to take any photos of the completely finished quilt.
I made this quilt for my youngest son, another teenager! every time I have asked him if he wants a quilt he has always said he didn’t want one, he has his favorite worn out thread bear quilt!  But like I said I wanted to have made a quilt for each of us in our little family while living in that particular home.  So he didn’t have a choice, he was getting one!  As he was not interested in it, I just went ahead and made decisions on colour and pattern without his input! (even if teenagers can be difficult to please)
I named this quilt Crossroads, I think it’s the perfect name for it!
So without teasing you too much here are some photos.
The quilt top all pieced at our home before we moved
DSC03074

And here it is all finished!
 
(I now have a perfect place to photograph my quilts! I am loving that white fence!)
IMG_1484
IMG_1485
IMG_1486IMG_1489IMG_1490IMG_1491
(oh no look at the deck! in need of some TLC it has now been power washed and stained since this photo was taken, only 3 weeks after moving in!)
 
Quilting Detail
photo-001
photo
Quilt Details
Pattern  Power of 4 designed by Tony Jacobson for Fons and Porter’s Love of Quilting Magazine May/June 2013 issue.
I changed the pattern slightly by adding extra rows and 2 borders, the  inner border is Kona snow and the outer is Parson Gray., the original quilt size is 64 x 76 and I needed it to be big enough to fit a Queen Bed.
I gave my LAQ free reign when it came to quilting this quilt, and I love the pattern she chose, it really does give it a modern look and some movement to the quilt. Thank you Sue! If you need a quilt quilting then I recommend Sue, she does a fantastic job and I do know that she received quilt by mail all the time to be quilted.
This quilt was classed as being intermediate, but I found it extremely quick and easy to make, the most difficult part was making sure all the rows lined up, but that just required some patience on my part.
  • Fabrics used – Parson Gray for FreeSpirit by David Butler, Dear Stella, (will add more details when I find the selvedge edges!)
  • Border –  Robert Kaufmann Kona Snow (inner) Parson Gray (outer)
  • Binding – Kona Delph Blue
  • Backing – Gasp! A sheet from Target!
  • Quilting – by Sue Tuma 
  • Pantograph – Modern Curves by Anita Shackelford
  • Thread -  Signature Cotton in Oyster Shell
  • Batting – Legacy 80/20

5 comments:

  1. It is lovely and the quilting really complements it too, Sue really did you proud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect is what i say it is just right for a Teen !!! loving your new fence too ,hope the move was smooth and your Pup is now ok !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, it was great to see your new homestead in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt and the quilting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...